All women speak two languages:
the language of men
and the language of silent suffering.
Some women speak a third,
the language of queens.
They are marvelous
and they are my friends.
My friends give me poetry.
If it were not for them
I’d be a seamstress out of work.
They send me their dresses
and I sew together poems,
enormous sails for ocean journeys.
My marvelous friends, these women
who are elegant and fix engines,
who teach gynecology and literacy,
and work in jails and sing and sculpt
and paint the ninety-nine names,
who keep each other’s secrets
and pass on each other’s spirits
like small packets of leavening,
it is from you I fashion poetry.
I scoop up, in handfuls, glittering
sequins that fall from your bodies
as you fall in love, marry, divorce,
get custody, get cats, enter
supreme courts of justice,
argue with God.
You rescuers on galloping steeds
of the weak and the wounded–
Creatures of beauty and passion,
powerful workers in love–
you are the poems.
I am only your stenographer.
I am the hungry transcriber
of the conjuring recipes you hoard
in the chests of your great-grandmothers.
My marvelous friends–the women
of brilliance in my life,
who levitate my daughters,
you are a coat of many colors
in silk tie-dye so gossamer
it can be crumpled in one hand.
You houris, you mermaids, swimmers
in dangerous waters, defiers of sharks–
My marvelous friends,
thirsty Hagars and laughing Sarahs,
you eloquent radio Aishas,
Marys drinking the secret
milkshakes of heaven,
slinky Zuleikas of desire,
gay Walladas, Harriets
parting the sea, Esthers in the palace,
Penelopes of patient scheming,
you are the last hope of the shrinking women.
You are the last hand to the fallen knights
You are the only epics left in the world
Come with me, come with poetry
Jump on this wild chariot, hurry–
- jesuispain likes this
- naga-ame likes this
- space-kabob likes this
- paperhopes reblogged this from angryasiangirlsunited
- erigay reblogged this from angryasiangirlsunited
- erigay likes this
- universalbrit reblogged this from joannalannister
- keepitsimplelove likes this
- stationerylover likes this
- tszarina reblogged this from pussy-privilege
- feminissm reblogged this from ratmessiah
- fearsomedeer likes this
- themyrf reblogged this from byuldeureul
- grandargh likes this
- defendeinproelio reblogged this from night-gathers
- night-gathers reblogged this from aryastarkles
- roboregs likes this
- likeparadiseshouldbe likes this
- unambiguously-introverted reblogged this from aryastarkles
- woolfhearted reblogged this from aryastarkles
- heraagathon likes this
- aryastarkles reblogged this from joannalannister
- booksfangirling likes this
- kaklahzerbiderb likes this
- elevatormouse likes this
- lucretiamerces likes this
- five-under-one-sky reblogged this from byuldeureul
- hutieu-mi reblogged this from byuldeureul
- danchoueyebrows reblogged this from byuldeureul
- byuldeureul reblogged this from januariat
- girlwiththethirdeye reblogged this from theseviolentdelights
- aliceroared likes this
- ohmycumberlord reblogged this from arthurisarthur
- funkycity reblogged this from elixiere
- sarah-the-slut reblogged this from coldmorningsun
- coldmorningsun reblogged this from hornyponymagic
- coldmorningsun likes this
- hornyponymagic reblogged this from mclaheys
- singmelullabies reblogged this from aculturedcitizen
- hornyponymagic likes this
- ins-ides likes this
- mclaheys reblogged this from rayholts
- unicornsandsuchmadness likes this
- youcantstopthesignalmal reblogged this from fullofstoryshapes
- ethereal-stars likes this
- nemomus-prime reblogged this from januariat
- heilic likes this
- fujoshirobo likes this
- coolurlistaken likes this