All women speak two languages:
the language of men
and the language of silent suffering.
Some women speak a third,
the language of queens.
They are marvelous
and they are my friends.
My friends give me poetry.
If it were not for them
I’d be a seamstress out of work.
They send me their dresses
and I sew together poems,
enormous sails for ocean journeys.
My marvelous friends, these women
who are elegant and fix engines,
who teach gynecology and literacy,
and work in jails and sing and sculpt
and paint the ninety-nine names,
who keep each other’s secrets
and pass on each other’s spirits
like small packets of leavening,
it is from you I fashion poetry.
I scoop up, in handfuls, glittering
sequins that fall from your bodies
as you fall in love, marry, divorce,
get custody, get cats, enter
supreme courts of justice,
argue with God.
You rescuers on galloping steeds
of the weak and the wounded–
Creatures of beauty and passion,
powerful workers in love–
you are the poems.
I am only your stenographer.
I am the hungry transcriber
of the conjuring recipes you hoard
in the chests of your great-grandmothers.
My marvelous friends–the women
of brilliance in my life,
who levitate my daughters,
you are a coat of many colors
in silk tie-dye so gossamer
it can be crumpled in one hand.
You houris, you mermaids, swimmers
in dangerous waters, defiers of sharks–
My marvelous friends,
thirsty Hagars and laughing Sarahs,
you eloquent radio Aishas,
Marys drinking the secret
milkshakes of heaven,
slinky Zuleikas of desire,
gay Walladas, Harriets
parting the sea, Esthers in the palace,
Penelopes of patient scheming,
you are the last hope of the shrinking women.
You are the last hand to the fallen knights
You are the only epics left in the world
Come with me, come with poetry
Jump on this wild chariot, hurry–
- calmthosetits likes this
- teatimeisalwaysfourpm likes this
- thenoblesirgawain likes this
- shatterdomescientist reblogged this from missterlovett
- radioactivebinaries reblogged this from missterlovett
- missterlovett reblogged this from blueeyesbigsurprise
- missterlovett likes this
- blueeyesbigsurprise reblogged this from charlottedsweb
- glittertaire reblogged this from lupinely
- glittertaire likes this
- notatallgrownup likes this
- officialozarka likes this
- queenmaeb reblogged this from lupinely
- razzlellama reblogged this from luxorumque
- benries likes this
- windowinyourhead likes this
- quadzombie reblogged this from intheicyairofnight
- luxorumque reblogged this from intheicyairofnight
- i-cant-think-of-anything-wity likes this
- nonbinaryeponine likes this
- intheicyairofnight reblogged this from queerophelia
- gin-draws likes this
- queerophelia reblogged this from lupinely
- sadpuppykillian reblogged this from lupinely
- thepratandtheidiot likes this
- lupinely reblogged this from ladyremus
- wily-caryatid likes this
- persephoneunder reblogged this from megg33k
- zonesthesia likes this
- somecrazytrustexercise reblogged this from megg33k
- eachpurplecurtain reblogged this from ahollowforest
- nemhain likes this
- lauragmaldon likes this
- imincogneetus likes this
- ahollowforest reblogged this from charlottedsweb
- lonebadwolf likes this
- toosmallortootall likes this
- aproposofamelate likes this
- difficulttounthinkit likes this
- rorythedragon reblogged this from ladyremus
- freerunner97 reblogged this from megg33k
- freerunner97 likes this
- punktaiga likes this
- charlottedsweb reblogged this from megg33k
- no-otters-in-the-flight-deck likes this
- megg33k reblogged this from michelottos
- queerlittlething reblogged this from ladyremus
- manoosajnabi likes this
- dediismindpalace likes this